Required Reading: Ruined By Design
I pre-ordered this the moment I heard about it. From what I could tell it was the logical next step after Papanek's "Design for the Real World".
It is worth your time and a quick read. It's increbily punk and you will feel guilty about your participation, even if you are not a designer. Developers are also designers BTW.
Maybe it's because I grew up with all four parents being blue collar union members. Maybe it's because my world view was formed by peace punk. Either way, it's extremely up my alley and it might be up yours too. If you ever thought we could and should be better. Constantly questioned authority. Believe in the power of collective bargaining. Wanted to fight for the little guy. Spoke truth to power. You will love this book.
Check out Ruined By Design and see for yourself.
- "Empathy is a pretty word for exclusion"
- "..labor without counsel is not design."
- "The worst of what we create will outlive us."
- "..ultimately their decisions cannot be implemented without our labor"
- "You can fight and win"
- "We have more power than we think."
- "We can go to jail for this shit now!"
- "We get the job applicants we deserve."